[Python-ideas] stdlib with its own release cycle ?

Tobias Ivarsson thobes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 07:24:49 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, according to people who know Jython much better
> than I, the amount of work involved would be analogous to the
> effort involved to write Jython in the first place. Since I doubt
> strongly that I have either the technical or political skills to
> develop and maintain my own Python implementation, I prefer
> the escape hatch. Your mileage apparently does vary.

Sure... it is true that making Jython run on Dalvik/Android is a big task,
but saying that it requires the same amount of work as reimplementing Jython
from scratch is a huge overstatement. It is true that it would not be as
easy as it was for Charles to get JRuby to run on Dalvik/Android. JRuby has
always had an interpreter and then JITs to Java bytecode while Jython
compiles all code to Java bytecode immediately when loaded.

There are efforts underway to make future versions of Jython run on Android,
but just like the core CPython developers most of us are doing Jython as a
side project, so it takes time. Very early experiments are looking promising
though, but there is still a long way to go.

If someone sent me an Android dev. phone I might get more motivated to focus
my efforts in that direction... ;)

Cheers,
Tobias