[Python-ideas] stdlib with its own release cycle ?

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:26:37 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Tobias Ivarsson <thobes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, according to people who know Jython much better
>> than I, the amount of work involved would be analogous to the
>> effort involved to write Jython in the first place. Since I doubt
>> strongly that I have either the technical or political skills to
>> develop and maintain my own Python implementation, I prefer
>> the escape hatch. Your mileage apparently does vary.
>
> Sure... it is true that making Jython run on Dalvik/Android is a big task,
> but saying that it requires the same amount of work as reimplementing Jython
> from scratch is a huge overstatement. It is true that it would not be as
> easy as it was for Charles to get JRuby to run on Dalvik/Android. JRuby has
> always had an interpreter and then JITs to Java bytecode while Jython
> compiles all code to Java bytecode immediately when loaded.

I can pretty much guarantee that you know more about what you're
talking about than I do.

Having said that- several highly skilled developers, each certainly
more experienced with both Java and Jython than myself, have
tried their hands at this and nearly a year later none have
succeeded. My project took me- a guy who hasn't touched Java,
let alone the JNI, in nearly a decade- less than 8 weeks of
intermittent effort. Sure, it's closer to what ctypes does than what
Jython does, but working is working, and I'll take that.

Plus it let me work in Python 3, which I prefer.

> There are efforts underway to make future versions of Jython run on Android,
> but just like the core CPython developers most of us are doing Jython as a
> side project, so it takes time. Very early experiments are looking promising
> though, but there is still a long way to go.
>
> If someone sent me an Android dev. phone I might get more motivated to focus
> my efforts in that direction... ;)

I can send you a shiny new emulator ;)

Geremy Condra