[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:16:38 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> So python is chartering a path object module, and we should let whichever
> module is the best on pypi eventually get into the std-lib.

No, the module has to at least have a nodding acquaintance with good
software design principles, avoid introducing too many ways to do the
same thing, and various other concerns many authors of modules on PyPI
often don't care about.

That's *why* path.py got rejected in the first place. Just as
ipaddress is not the same as ipaddr due to those additional concerns,
so will whatever path abstraction makes into the standard library take
those concerns into account.

Cheers,
Nick.