[Python-ideas] Why CPython is still behind in performance for some widely used patterns ?

Pau Freixes pfreixes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:18:08 EST 2018

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your responses, the points of view and the
information that you shared to back up your rationales, I had some
time to visit few of them but sure I will try to suit the proper time
to review all of them.

It's hard to try to keep the discussion organized responding at each
response, if you don't mind I would do it with just this email. If you
believe that I'm missing something important shoot it.

First of all, my fault starting the discussion with the language
battle side, this didn't help it to focus the conversation to the
point that I wanted to discuss. So, the intention was to raise two use
cases which both have a performance cost that could be explicitly
circumvented by the developer, taking into account that both are,
let's say, well known by the community.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of you argue that the proper Zen of
Python - can we say it mutability [1]? as Victor pointed out -  that
allow the user have the freedom to mutate objects in runtime goes in
the opposite direction of allowing the *compiler* to make code with
some optimizations. Or, more specifically for the ceval -
*interpreter*? - apply some hacks that would help to reduce the
footprint of some operations.

Im wondering if a solution might pass for having something like that
[2] but for generic attributes, should it be possible? has been
discussed before ? is there any red-flag that you might thing that
will make to much complicated a well-balanced solution?

Regarding the cost of calling a function, that I can guess is not
related with the previous stuff, what is an impediment right now to
make it faster ?

[1] https://faster-cpython.readthedocs.io/mutable.html
[2] https://bugs.python.org/issue28158

--