[Python-ideas] Why CPython is still behind in performance for some widely used patterns ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:14:54 EST 2018

On 28 January 2018 at 07:18, Pau Freixes <pfreixes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the cost of calling a function, that I can guess is not
> related with the previous stuff, what is an impediment right now to
> make it faster ?

At a technical level, the biggest problems relate to the way we
manipulate frame objects at runtime, including the fact that we expose
those frames programmatically for the benefit of debuggers and other
tools.

More broadly, the current lack of perceived commercial incentives for
large corporations to invest millions in offering a faster default
Python runtime, the way they have for the other languages you
mentioned in your initial post :)

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Fortunately for Python users in general, those incentives are in
the process of changing, as we see the rise of platforms like AWS
Lambda (where vendors and platforms charging by the RAM-second gives a
clear financial incentive to investing in software performance
improvements).