Print a PDF transparently

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Feb 17 11:17:25 EST 2006

> Based on all this, I have been investigating about postscript files. I
> realize that printers do handle this language, so I think if I have a
> .ps file and send it directly to the printer, it should do the job,
> right? (this is certainly a question) If the answer is True, no matter
> in what platform I am, if I send the same .ps to the printer, it should
> print the same result.

No. There are PostScript-Printers out there - but your off-the-shelf InkJet
isn't, and that's the reason why there usually has to be some sort of
driver in-between. Which is either GS or, in case of PDF, the acrobat-* or
any other PDF-printer-emulator.

maybe you can go down the rocky road of automation here, remote-controlling
acrobat reader. But I doubt that it wouldn't at least flash up with its
window for as long as the printing lasts.

Diez