[python-win32] Problem in accessing the Sender and Receiver addresses of an outlook mail

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Dec 3 19:00:06 CET 2008

venu madhav wrote:

>       I am trying to use python for extracting contents of an
> outlook email. For extracting the list of Recipients addresses I tried
> using
> the "MAPI.message.Recipients.Address" property, but the problem I
> am facing is that it is giving the complete DN name which is putting
> me in further complications. Is there any way to obtain the actual
> SMTP mail address (username at domain.com <mailto:username at domain.com>)
> of both sender and receiver from the above object? I searched for it
> in the MSDN help but couldn't succeed.

This depends on your mail server.  If you are using Exchange, and are
looking at an internal message, it's not using SMTP, and might be
configured to deliver only to DN names.  The "Type" property of the
address tells you which address type it is.

http://www.ssuet.edu.pk/taimoor/books/0-672-30928-9/ch4.htm

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com