[python-win32] A little help for a n00b, please

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun May 6 20:40:30 CEST 2012

On 06/05/2012 18:37, Alan Jump wrote:
> I entered it in the shell, being too lazy to write a separate script
> file. The response is the same:
>
> <code>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<string>", line 1, in<fragment>
> pywintypes.error: (31, 'ShellExecute', 'A device attached to the system
> is not functioning.')
> </code>
>
> So it's apparently an issue with my system, rather than the script. I've
> tried changing print processors and updating drivers, but to no avail.
> So I'm thinking this is not a Python problem, but a Windows problem,
> which means I dig elsewhere for the gem that fixes the problem.

Most of the pywin32 functionality exposes
the underlying win32 api more or less raw. (Doing only
what's necessary to map Python objects to and from their
Windows counterparts). So it's fairly unusual for Python
to introduce any complexity into this kind of situation.

BTW, the custom on this list is to bottom-post or inter-post
rather than top-posting. Just so you know...

TJG