[spambayes-dev] New localization patches

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Mar 9 00:29:55 CET 2007

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new here at this list. So I want shortly introduce myself.
>
> My development experience reaches back more than 20 years,
> for more than 15
> years I'm self-employed professional developer, so called freelancer.
>
> For 3 years now I'm fulltime working as software integration engineer,
> currently as Open System Driver Integrator for Cell(tm) based
> server blades
> at IBM development labs in Boeblingen, Germany. Looking at 34
> open patches
> at Spambayes Sourceforge project page eventually there is a need for
> integration skills.

Hi Marko - welcome!  We certainly welcome all skills (and more importantly,
skills with the itch to be exercised :)

> I'm consequently using Windows on my desktop and Debian stable on my
> servers. After upgrading my hardware and system software last
> month, I had
> to deal with SpamBayes again after it ran on my old system
> for years without
> problems.
>
> Because I don't like mixed-language GUIs I wanted to
> translate the main GUI
> items into German. I discovered
> - in README-DEVEL.txt there are missing some important information.
> - Localization does not work at all (at least if running from source)
> - After fixing these two points there are other localization related
> problems.
>
> I've provided three patches on Sourceforge to fix these
> problems. On my
> system SpamBayes seems to run stable now under Vista x64 with
> Outlook 2007
> with Spambayes and a partly translated German interface.
>
> I would be happy if someone could review the fixes and
> integrate them.

All done!  I admit to not testing them, but they all *look* reasonable, and
any problems will be picked up in short order.

> Of
> course I think I could do it myself if I had the appropriate
> rights. (My sf.net user name is 'igs'.)

Once your contributions are somewhat regular and the pain of integration
becomes noticeable, we will be more than happy to set you up as a developer
on the project!

Thanks!

Mark.