[Tutor] Re-inventing the wheel

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 03:38:32 EST 2004

> Before I go and try to re-invent the wheel here.. I am in the
process of
> creating an application for k-12 schools to keep track of student
fees..
> it will need to access DB4, MS SQL, Oracle, and DB2 style databases.

Take a look at the Database special interest area on python.org.
I suspect you will need the ODBC drivers to talk to DB4 (which
I assume is actually DBaseIV?) and I think there are specific
drivers for the others. THe module will hide most of that diversity
from you.

Do you know SQL? That is going to be pretty essential.

> system. If anyone knows of something like this I would appreciate
> knowing..  Especially since this is why I am actually learning
Python..

Sorry, without knowing what you are trying to do its hard to say,
but I'd guess its unlikely given the variety of dsata sources.
Potentially quite a challenging project.

Alan G.