[Tutor] help regarding forms... (fwd)

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Aug 8 22:31:47 CEST 2006

Alan Gauld said unto the world upon 08/08/06 12:59 PM:
>>> I've been on the internet for over 20 years now and every mail
>>> tool/newreader I've ever used has (at least) two reply options:
>>> I don't understand why this seems to come as a surprise?
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Alan, I think you are judging based on technical lists, no?
>
> There are other kinds?!! :-)

:-)

>> mailing list, the more likely it is to be set up with a munged `reply
>> to' header.
>
> What exactly does this mean? I still don't quite see how it works.
> Does this mean a user hits Reply to reply to the whole list and
> then Reply All - does what???? The same? What a waste!

I've never actually tried `Reply to all' on a munged list. But, since
on such lists `Reply' is, in effect, an alias for `Reply to all' I
assume that in addition to breaking expectations, munging is also, as
you suspect, brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

FWIW, the munging preference is pretty runs pretty deep, I think. I my
case it took public shame caused by a `private' message that wasn't to
see the light. :-[

Burned by the memory, I refuse to munge the class mailing lists I
administer. But one day the complaints will wear me down . . . .

Best,

Brian vdB