Greg Ward wrote:
line 3, in ? ImportError: cannot import name XPathParserBase
The problem is the phantom "/var/tmp/4Suite-buildroot/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages"...
That's bizarre. Having the wrong filename in the .pyc files is annoying, but I can't for the life of me see how it could be causing an ImportError.
We just found out that this is indeed not the problem. The problem was that RPM wasn't getting the right lists of installed files, so it was getting confused about where things were.
I've downloaded your two source dists to see if I can figure out what the heck's going on. Don't have anything yet, but I'm glad to see someone is using all those extensibility hooks I put in! AFAIK you're the first ones to define a new Distribution class -- cool!
You ain't seen nothing yet! We fixed a whole bunch of our additional packaging problems with more distutils subclassing. Check out
For the sordid mess...
Thought I do wonder if all the heavy lifting you're doing to beat the Distutils into submission could be causing problems. It's idle speculation right now; I haven't even reproduced your problems yet, much less tried to debug them. Tomorrow... my brain is shutting down for the night right now.
We'd love to hear any feedback about our distutils efforts. We hardly thought we were doing anything extraordinary, but distutils does seem to have several limitations as is that we had to sub-class to get around. Maybe we were trying too hard in some cases.