Ok I've changed the PEP with all the points you mentioned, if you want to take a look.
2009/5/15 P.J. Eby firstname.lastname@example.org:
Next, the doc for the metadata API functions seems quite sparse. ISTR that I've previously commented on such issues as case- and punctuation-insensitivity of project names, and '/' separation in egg_info subpaths, but these don't seem to have been incorporated into the current version of the PEP.
These are important considerations in general, btw, because project name and version canonicalization and escaping are an important part of both generating and parsing .egg-info filenemaes. At minimum, the relevant setuptools docs that define these standards should be cited.
I need to find back your comments for this part, I must have missed them. That's the last part I didn't work out yet on the current PEP revision.