[python-advocacy] SD West

David Beazley d-beazley at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 15 18:54:32 CET 2007

> My impression is that the "few dedicated individuals" are insiders to
> the various SD and Agile conferences. It's well known that the
> Pragmatic Programmers have embraced Ruby as their language of choice,
> and I'm sure part of the reason is so they can be the first to write
> and sell books about it. Also, many of the "Agile gurus" use Ruby
> these
> days, again ditching Java (Martin Fowler comes to mind, and generally
> speaking all of the ThoughWorks guys).

Years ago, I attended the 1st Annual Ruby conference out of
curiosity.  Having also attended some early Python conferences
(IPC4), I have to say that the two conferences were vastly
different.    The Ruby conference was co-located with the OOPSLA
conference.  As a result, the attendees were drawn heavily from that
community. In particular, there seemed to be a lot of Enterprise
Computing and OO gurus in attendance.  The first Python conference I
went to seemed to be populated by a weird mix of web-hackers,
physicists, and lone-programmers.  Anyways, it's probably no accident
that Ruby is showing up in the various SD conferences since many of
Ruby's early adopters probably came out of that community to begin
with.  I'm not sure if the lack of Python in these venues is good or
bad though.

Cheers,
Dave