[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Ralph sfreader at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 16 09:31:59 CEST 2007

Howdy,
  At Pycon, a group of us were talking about Jeff Rush doing a monthly
podcast.  It would be called something like the Python Project of the
Month.
  The prospectus Jeff would send out would look something like:

  The idea of the podcast is to focus on one Python project each month
and show how it can be used.  This is not a contest to pick the top
Python project, but a look at something I find interesting.  I know that
I want to learn more about each of these projects and I believe what I
find may be of interest to others.  We may be doing interviews with
people who create or use these projects already, but the focus will be
on explaining how they work and creating a Python program to use the
selected project.

  We want to pick 12 projects to start off.  I figure there will be some
good reason to reject some of these, so I am offering an initial 16
projects.

Nabu  http://furius.ca/nabu/
http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/  xmpppy: the jabber python project
PyBlosxom http://pyblosxom.sourceforge.net/
Freevo http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
Crunchy http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/
PIL http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil
Pyjamas  http://pyjamas.pyworks.org/
Burn http://www.bigpaul.org/burn/
Luma  http://luma.sourceforge.net
gajim  http://www.gajim.org
GmailFS  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GmailFS
paramiko  http://www.lag.net/paramiko/
Mechanize http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/
Mutagen http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Development/Mutagen
psycopg 2  http://www.initd.org/tracker/psycopg/wiki/PsycopgTwo
pyinotify http://pyinotify.sourceforge.net/

  Does anyone else think this is a useful idea?  Ron Stevens seemed to
like it.