[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sat Jun 16 18:18:25 CEST 2007

In a message of Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:31:59 CDT, Ralph writes:
>Howdy,
>  At Pycon, a group of us were talking about Jeff Rush doing a monthly
>podcast.  It would be called something like the Python Project of the
>Month.
>  The prospectus Jeff would send out would look something like:
>
>  The idea of the podcast is to focus on one Python project each month
>and show how it can be used.  This is not a contest to pick the top
>Python project, but a look at something I find interesting.  I know that
>I want to learn more about each of these projects and I believe what I
>find may be of interest to others.  We may be doing interviews with
>people who create or use these projects already, but the focus will be
>on explaining how they work and creating a Python program to use the
>selected project.
>
>  We want to pick 12 projects to start off.  I figure there will be some
>good reason to reject some of these, so I am offering an initial 16
>projects.

I'm fine with the concept.

>Nabu  http://furius.ca/nabu/
>http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/  xmpppy: the jabber python project
>PyBlosxom http://pyblosxom.sourceforge.net/
>Freevo http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
>Crunchy http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/
>PIL http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil
>Pyjamas  http://pyjamas.pyworks.org/
>Burn http://www.bigpaul.org/burn/
>Luma  http://luma.sourceforge.net
>gajim  http://www.gajim.org
>GmailFS  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GmailFS
>paramiko  http://www.lag.net/paramiko/
>Mechanize http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/
>Mutagen http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Development/Mutagen
>psycopg 2  http://www.initd.org/tracker/psycopg/wiki/PsycopgTwo
>pyinotify http://pyinotify.sourceforge.net/

There are very few of these projects I either know about nor have
any current interest in knowing about.  Perhaps this means that
you are a better magnet-for-cool than I am.  If so, these podcasts
should be a sure hit.  But if not, perhaps we should ask on
comp.lang.python for suggestions on what to produce.

We have a serious dilemmna here -- by publishing a thing we can seem
to endorse it.  Guido van Rosum created this sort of problem,
inadvertantly, by publically liking Django.  One heck of a lot of
people of small brains decided that Django was 'it' -- blessed by the
dictator -- despite the fact that Django is only designed for certain
things, and thus, especially if you have other things to do, you might
be interested in Newov, or Turbo Gears, or Pylons ...

>  Does anyone else think this is a useful idea?  Ron Stevens seemed to
>like it.

It is useful, but it is also dangerous.  Just making sure we are
all warned before we go burn ourselves. ...