[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Ralph sfreader at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 06:01:05 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 10:04 +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
> I think that whether this works depends on whether you are the sort of
> person who watches podcasts for fun.  I'm not, but I don't own a tv
> either.  So in order to get me to watch a podcast at all, it has to be
  Watching one of this could be a Zen exercise of some sort, I guess.
These are going to be audio podcasts, suitable for listening to on your
portable music player.  To watch would be to see the clock counter move
up.

> about something that I already know I want to learn about.  And I will
> read the text-accompaniment first, and only if that looks interesting
> will I start the podcast.  This puts me on one far end of the spectrum
> of possible viewing audience.  Somewhere out there is somebody who
> hates reading books and will always go for a podcast every single time.
> How does our audience sort out between these extremes? I don't know.
>
> >Your concern about being seen to endorse a project
> >is one I have thought about.  We need to say somehow that this is
> >basically a research project.  The projects we talk about are good
> >enough to be worth learning about.
>
> I don't understand this.  If you are saying that 'these projects are
> research projects' then you will offend those creators who think of
> their projects as completely ready for commercial deployment right
> now.  If, instead, you are saying 'the podcasts are to be thought of as
> a research project', ah, how does that follow?  What is research about
  The point here is that Jeff is doing research into projects he has not
used.  Not every project he researches turns out to be interesting.  The
ones that are interesting enough are the ones we will do a podcast
about.  Interesting here can mean the code is novel in some way we want
to talk about.  It might mean that the project is worth using.  We'll
need more than 12 projects to study in a year, because we may not find
enough to say about every project we look at.

> it?  Promote something and then measure if it gets more popular?  But
> that's the whole reason for the caution.

> If it is seen as a PSF action it ought to, and there is the rub.

  I don't propose this as a PSF action.  I do want feedback from this
group, because the purpose of the podcast is to highlight the use of
Python.

 If we produce an interesting show, I bet we will find an audience.
And, I think it will help the promotion of Python.