[python-advocacy] Obstacles to the adoption of Python

Rex Eastbourne rex.eastbourne at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 03:48:14 CET 2008

Hello all,

I am new to this list. I am a longtime Python user and like it quite a bit;
I am interested in getting involved in advocacy.

I've been thinking recently about the best way to increase the adoption rate
of Python. I suppose one valuable thing to do would be to do research on the
reasons -- real or imagined -- that people are *not* adopting it. For
instance, I saw the following blog post yesterday:

http://coffeeghost.net/2008/03/19/your-ignorance-does-not-make-a-programming-language-suck/

Has anyone done an analysis of the main practical issues holding Python
back? Off the top of my head, here are two commonly cited obstacles:

-Lack of a popular, mature add-on repository (I know there is PyPI, but it
doesn't seem to be as mature as CPAN)
-Documentation (I have no big problem with it, but many people feel the
online Python documentation is not up to par with what other languages have,
like perldoc)

Specifically, it is "logistical" issues like the above that interest me more
than the technical issues (execution speed, language syntax) that seem to be
getting most of the attention. For one, these logistical issues can be more
straightforward to implement.

Does anyone have stuff to add to this list?

Rex