[AstroPy] numarray pdf 1.5 is broken. Using numdisplay, Python, PIL, and Tkinter

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 10:50:28 EDT 2009

Here's a better example of what I'm after (it uses a tif file, but fits
is what I want or expect to use).

    # fun and games
    import Image, ImageDraw
    im = Image.open("wagon.tif")
    draw = ImageDraw.Draw(im)
    draw.line((0, 0) + im.size, fill=128)
    draw.line((0,0),(20,140), fill=128)

    root.mainloop()

"_show_ [in the example] is pretty primitive...", in Tkinter/PIL.
The question is whether ds9 is a module that can be used within a Python
program? I really do not know, but indications are that it is not.

Phil Hodge wrote:
>> I'm looking for a capability somewhat like that above for fits, and
>> not ppm. show is pretty primitive, but the the idea is that I want
>> this little program to display lena.fits.
>

> ds9 is anything but primitive, and I would recommend that you try it
> regardless of whatever else you use.  You can use matplotlib to
> display a FITS image within a Python program, but you can also use
> numdisplay to display with ds9.  Many people just use the "File" menu
> in ds9 and give the name of the FITS file.
>
> Phil

             (121.01 Deg. W, 39.26 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)****

          "Less than all cannot satisfy Man." -- William Blake