[AstroPy] Python powered GUI for secondary school education image processing and possible porting to Tablets and Smart Phones

Eric Jeschke eric at naoj.org
Sat Oct 3 19:06:05 EDT 2015

A quick follow-up to Matt's reply.

I agree with him that Ipython/Jupyter notebooks are really compelling
vehicles for teaching and documenting the use of python libraries, both for
students and practitioners.  Ginga has only nascent web-capabilities so
far, but you can get a little taste of what it has by checking out this
example notebook <http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/ejeschke/6067409>.

Ginga supports not only qt4/qt5/pyside, but also gtk2, tk, matplotlib and
now HTML backends.  We are considering adding one for bokeh.

~Eric

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM, <astropy-request at scipy.org> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [AstroPy] Python powered GUI for secondary school
>         education image processing and possible porting to Tablets and
> Smart
>         Phones
>
> Hi again,
>
> A couple other projects that are python-based but use non-web backends
> (like I said in my original reply, I?m biased :)) that were mentioned off
> list but might be of interest to others are:
>
> + ginga, main contact is Eric Jeschke, screenshots at
> http://ejeschke.github.io/ginga/? ginger is a QT-based toolkit that also
> comes with a basic image browser, though that basic browser is intended as
> a demonstration of capabilities.
>
> + imexam, main contact Megan Sosey, https://github.com/sosey, screenshots
> at http://imexam.readthedocs.org/en/latest/imexam/imexam_command.html . I
> didn?t mention this initially because the original interface was DS9, but
> there is a version that uses ginger for the viewer. If you wanted to try
> something immediately on a tablet, I?d try dropping it in to one of the
> frameworks that claims to take python to multiple platforms.
>
> Matt Craig
>
> --
Eric Jeschke          |    eric at naoj.org    | ジェスキ,エリツク
Software Engineer     |     808-934-5908    | ソフトウェアエンジニア
Subaru Telescope      |                     | すばる望遠鏡
National Astronomical Observatory of Japan

http://naoj.org/staff/eric