[BangPypers] Python performance inprovements with GCC 4.4...any details

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:44:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 Oct 2009 2:55:16 pm Vishal wrote:
>> Are there anymore details that can be shared? Interested to know...because
>> performance is always one of most sought after metric when choosing an
>> interpreted language.
>
> I thought it was the least important?

Hardly. Maybe not the most sought after metric but definitely up there
in a list of things to look at. Given n interpreted languages and
faced with the problem of making a decision, speed is definitely a
consideration (although other things are there as well).

The number of Python projects going just targeting speed increase and
the shift from 3.0 to 3.1 with the faster IO module are testaments to
this.

I've just recovered from the PHP/Python 'discussion' so I'll stay out
of this one. :)

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in