[BangPypers] Python at Schools

Amit Saha lists.amitsaha at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:46:40 CEST 2009

Yuvi Panda wrote:
> Anna University starts with C, then jumps to Bash (?!!?!) and then jumps
> back to C and C++. I've no idea where it is going (I'm in my third sem, and
> we're with a new curriculum), but I've seen glimpses of Flash(?!). 99% of my
> friends gave up on programming a month into the course - C isn't exactly the
> best first language, and Bash is just... curious.

That is a 'colorful' cornucopia of choices to make the future Software
engineers!

The college, I studied in (under West Bengal Univ. of Tech), begins with
C in the 2nd semester, and for a lot of people, that is the first
language- and C programming is taught with Turbo C on MS-DOS. Going
ahead, some C++, Java, JSP, BASH scripting is taught. And what do the
average student (by avg. I would fine, the student who has no "deep"
interest in programming, but just wants to get the job done- which could
mean, get marks!) finally end up with? Programming Languages: C, Data
Structures.

Compared to that, the ICSE schools have a better programming syllabus
these days- they start with LOGO, then some BASIC( GW/QBasic), then C++
and then some Java, but no Python. sigh.

If I could, I would teach students Lisp after LOGO, after all LOGO is a
LISP dialect!

my random bits.

-Amit

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Rajeev J Sebastian <
> rajeev.sebastian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Abhishek Mishra <ideamonk at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It happens that at ICSE schools java/c++ is offered for almost last 4
>>> years of schooling, while my CBSE experience was horrible, with no
>>> programming in syllabus till class 11th. While way back in an ICSE
>>> school, programming started at class 6 with GW-BASIC and that language
>>> was fun.
>> At Bharatiya Vidya Mandir school at Kochi, we started on BASIC in the
>> 5th std. It was CBSE.
>>
>> Engineering First+Second Sem at CUSAT, it same thing BASIC .. after
>> two years of C++ at school.
>>
>> Makes you wonder who the hell makes these things. So my opinion is,
>> schools can and do change depending on how good the teachers/principal
>> are. But whats really bad are the universities, where its not so easy.
>>
>> Regards
>> Rajeev J Sebastian

Journal: http://amitksaha.wordpress.com
µ-blog: http://twitter.com/amitsaha
IRC: cornucopic on #scheme, #lisp, #math, #linux