[BangPypers] https://github.com/pythonhacker/ladies.py

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Sat Sep 7 22:49:23 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sunday 08 September 2013 01:44 AM, svaksha wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Anand B Pillai
> <anandpillai at letterboxes.org> wrote:
>> +1. Btw, I founded and manage this list, but I see my "actions"
>> deserve some explanation. As Sriram, said I do have a (somewhat
>> extreme) sense of sarcastic and dry humour. I am also a PSF
>> member from 2010 and also President of PSSI.
>
> So? If anything, you should be held to higher standards as a PSF
> member and PSSI president.

I have my personal standards and I am not the type of person
who likes to project stereotypes if you understand what I mean.
I like to break stereotypes.

Btw, if you have heard of the term "anarchy", possibly that corresponds
best to what I did. Maybe you aren't used to people in position
resorting to anarchy, but I have often found it effective.

See, people come from various backgrounds and beliefs, so
the most civilized thing to do is to respect the other person's
view points while asserting your freedom to differ instead
of trying to ram down your thoughts down other's throats
again and again.

This is especially true in mailing lists. Being the last person
to post in a thread doesn't mean you are essentially right. It
possibly just means either people are shutting you out or
they are treating the thread now as noise - or they are just
indifferent.

>> curious. Maybe the OP of this thread who is an active member
>
> I may be the OP but I am not the founder, rather just a member who
> setup the mailman list as I disliked the meetup.com communication
> tool and dislike googlegroups even more.
>

>> of PyLadies could explain it  - just to educate all of us here
>> and me in particlar.
>
> I hope Anu's email was explanation enough.

Yes it was to an extent and since the matter is settled, I am not sure
what you are trying to do by sending these follow-ups.

>> My "isnt_that_odd" function of ladies.py was specifically
>> written to bring this point. Happy to see it hit the target.
>
> Anand, now you just come across as self-entitled and arrogant. The
> "if apology" not withstanding.
>
>> 2. Mission - It would be nice to educate us all in this list
>> about the goals of a separate organization for "ladies coding" as
>> apart from the general PSF umbrella. I am not misogynistic
>
> You have been a PSF member since 2010, so did you question the PSF
> when they gave a $10,000 grant to the Pyladies.com org? I'm
> curious because you want to know about the motives of a chapter.

No, I wasn't aware of it at that point as I don't keep
track of these things regularly. However since the local
chapter had started and there were a few emails, I have been
thinking more about it.

Being a member of PSF doesn't mean you agree with everything
and also take on everything you may not agree religiously. There
are grey areas where you defer your considerations to a future
date - let me say this was one of it.

>> in anyway, but in general I don't personally agree with "woman
>> coding" as a separate problem as opposed to "people coding".
>
> I hope you raised these objections on the PSF mailing list too.

I have been thinking more about it but as I see this is an issue
more of politics than technology and society, I may not.

But I might as well - I don't know at this point.