[BangPypers] Python - Build Monitor :

Ramanathan Muthaiah rus.cahimb at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:15:22 EDT 2016

Hi Ethiraj,

> May I know apart from the below python module, Are you doing anything
> different?
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/jenkinsapi
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-jenkins/
>
> I feel, what you are doing is already implemented.

Thanks for asking this question. I should answer to clarify why I choose to
do it this way.

Few months back,  when I started to explore the automation topic (for some
of the tasks in my full-time day job), I did explore these packages /
modules.  For some reason or other, I was blocked (sorry, am unable to
recall what exactly the blocking issues). So, I chose to use urllib2 module
(alongwith others) to access build data via Jenkins API. So, initially, the
requirement was purely for internal usage i.e. within the company.

Recently, I stumbled upon builds.apache.org (Jenkins infra) and thought I
can re-use some of my learnings here as well. That's the trigger point to
share this .ipynb code. Obviously, I couldn't code used in company's
production environment but still I could replicate the same using build
info from the various Apache projects.

My personal opinion:
Considering what has been done until now, it's pretty clear to me that
(though I have re-invented the wheel) this learning experience has enabled
me to gain the confidence and boldness to go out and try many other things,
which I believe, wouldn't have been possible if I had not attempted this in
the first place.

--
regards
Ramanathan.M (a.k.a Ram)