[Baypiggies] Voting for a new name

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Thu Apr 13 17:54:58 CEST 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Marilyn Davis (marilyn at deliberate.com):
>
> > After much thought, I realize that the deeper problem I have with the
> > name is that it is degrading, self-defeating, and impolite.  I think I
> > concentrated on 'silly' and 'unprofessional' in the beginning to be
> > kind, so I wouldn't have to say words like those.
>
> You should get that contextual blindness problem looked at.  It could be
> serious.

Ouch.

I once attended a SV Entrepreneur's Forum meeting where the speaker
was some advertising genius.

He said that, no matter what the context, some words are "poison" and
will turn off your readers and not sell your stuff.

But, all this arguing is pretty pointless.  I'm sure everyone's
opinion is set and they can express it or not.

Here are the current stats:

======= == ==== ===== === =======
RESULTS OF YOUR EVOTE WHO COMMAND
======= == ==== ===== === =======

320 participants  26 voters

Possible votes are from -1 to 1.

         9 --> Number of Positive Voters

        14 --> Number of Negative Voters

      0.64 --> Ratio of Positive to Negative Voters

         9 --> Sum of Positive Votes

        14 --> Sum of Negative Votes

      0.64 --> Ratio of Sums, Positive to Negative

     -0.19 --> Average of All Votes

Anyone can get the stats, and a list of how each address voted at any
time by:

1.  Write to:

    python at deliberate.com

2.  Subject must be:

    Change name?

3.  Message must be:

    eVote who
    end

I will say again, in the general case, when taking an email vote, and
considering what a quorum might be, that the number of email addresses
on the email list is not a good representation of the number of people
in the group.  So many people don't really read the mail, but just
archive it.  By reading the list of addresses, it is clear that some
people have more than one address subscribed, including Aahz.  And, if
people are reading, but not voting, that could be indicate that they
don't really consider themselves to be part of the group, for whatever
reason, so they ought not be counted in any way.  Making a different
algorithm that uses the number of addresses subscribed is a recipe for
avoiding group decision-making.

You know, Python is such a dynamite language, and has such ardent
fans, including me, that this group will survive anything.  I just
wish it was more of an asset to the language.

Marilyn