[Baypiggies] ADMIN: Re: Job posting policy

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 21 23:53:49 CET 2006

<admin hat on>

Just making it rilly rilly clear that I'm speaking in my list admin role
here:

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

>>> What's the reason for this policy? The company clearly states that
>>> they'll pay for relocation, so this announcement is certainly
>>> applicable to bay area python programmers.
>>
>> Any place where jobs get posted tends to become a cesspool of off-
>> topic job posts unless there's a strong focus -- while I don't set
>> the policy on this list any more, the original intent was to keep it
>> focused to Python programmers looking for jobs WITHIN the bay area
>> (or people looking to relocate TO the bay area).
>>
>> I suggest that any Python programmers in the bay area looking to
>> relocate find other appropriate avenues for same.
>
> I think Deirdre is wrong.
>
> If an offer is for out-of-bay w/relo and is for Python developer, then
> it should be OK to post here.

Sorry, more than a decade of experience with Usenet and mailing lists
says that Deirdre is precisely correct.  This is primarily a discussion
and announcement list; we permit job ads as a courtesy to list
subscribers.  The rules that we have are designed to ensure that we get
a minimum of job ads that are maximally applicable to the list.  There
are plenty of other places to look for jobs if that is your focus; please
use them.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis