[Baypiggies] handling timeouts, normal completion, or exceptions when interacting with CVS

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Nov 20 04:42:21 CET 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> Does anyone in the group have any experience with interacting with CVS
> from Python?

You might be able to find some wrapper that handles it in pure Python,
which might be more convenient.  For example http://pycvs.sourceforge.net/
(I haven't used it, I just googled for python+cvs, and when that
gave me too many hits, I looked for pycvs).

> I've written a script which will checkout files from CVS, however, I
> don' t know how to check for normal completion, errors or exceptions.

[snip]

> Does anyone have any suggestions how to handle erros or completion in a
> process like this?

In general, the subprocess module seems intended to handle this for you:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html .  It's fairly new, and
the documentation says it's "intends to replace several other, older
modules and functions, such as. . . popen".

Hope this helps!

-- Asheesh.

--
"I have to convince you, or at least snow you ..."
 		-- Prof. Romas Aleliunas, CS 435