[Baypiggies] Seeking February (and March and April) speakers

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:39:11 CET 2007

>     Wesley Chun has suggested a pre-pycon talk.

historically, Feb has been the prep-PyCon speakers session given those
delivering talks at the conference a chance to rehearse in front of a
live studio audience.  Mar would be the wrap-up.  We also have a
wrap-up for OSCON in Aug.  Since there are fewer Python talks at
OSCON, a warm-up in Jul has not been necessary.

we should plan on having 1 or 2 newbies nights where regular attendees
can bring someone to "assimilate" into the Python community.  such
nights typically consist of a pair of volunteers, one to talk, and the
other to be on a computer demonstrating the current topic.

since some folks have asked for more "educational"-type talks, i have
a bunch of 1-hr lectures already prepared (taken from the various
Python courses or conference tutorials i give) and can deliver them at
nearly a moment's notice. i know the topics are boring to many of you
old-timers, but if you're new to those areas of development, they are
a great place to get started.

- what is python? (language overview)
- network programming with sockets
- internet client programming (using the FTP, NNTP, POP3, SMTP client
library modules)
- intro to web/cgi programming
- programming microsoft office (win32 COM clients)
- extending python in C
- misc assorted stuff on functions, functional programming,
exceptions, iterators, generators, etc.

as far as PyCon goes, i haven't decided on which talks i'm going to
yet.  we can figure out who went to what when we return... thx JJ for
your list.  if anyone is still interested in going, American is having
a fare sale -- it appears that going out is easy, but getting back is
the challenge; nevertheless, here's the link in case you're
interested:

https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewNetSAAverFareSalesDetail.jhtml?saleId=1813&fileName=Dallas.Ft.Worth.Sale.10.19.06.xml

contact me privately if you need a ride to the conference from DFW.
i'm arriving thursday evening around 8:30pm and have a rental car.
the same goes for returning sunday nite... i leave for the airport at
4:45-5pm.  i'll do anything for a donation since, unlike JJ, i
couldn't convince my employer to help fund my trip! LOL

cheers,
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com