[Baypiggies] Html encoding question

Kelly Yancey kelly at nttmcl.com
Thu Jun 7 20:54:19 CEST 2007

Joshua Gallagher wrote::
> Hi Ken,
>
> If you want the string 'where x < z*5, and x > z+2' to show up as
> text, you could also put it within the <pre></pre> html tags.
>
> For example:
> sampleCode = '<pre>' + 'where x < z*5, and x > z+2' + '</pre>'
>
> All the best,
>
> Joshua

   Unfortunately, you still need to convert the '<' and '>' characters
to HTML entities (as JJ's snippet did).  Somewhere I seem to recall
having seen a web browser that did not interpret '<', '>', etc. in PRE
tags, but a quick test with both Firefox and IE7 shows that both of the
mainstream browsers will interpret them.  Hence the need to convert them
to entities using cgi.escape().

   As a quick demo, consider the following HTML document:

	<pre>
	&lt;b&gt;Test 1&lt;/b&gt;
	<b>Test 2</b>
	</pre>

   In both Firefox and IE7, Test 2 is rendered in bold.

   For this reason, I have to run all code samples through the following
filter before posting them to my blog:

python -c 'import cgi; import sys; print cgi.escape(sys.stdin.read());'

   Of course, as you mention, the code looks a lot better if I put it
inside a PRE tag. :)

   Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey