[Baypiggies] [JOB] Software Engineer at O'Reilly Media

Pascal Honscher pascal at oreilly.com
Fri Oct 9 00:42:57 CEST 2009

O'Reilly Media, Inc. spreads the knowledge of innovators through its
books, online services, magazine, and conferences. Since 1978,
O'Reilly has been a chronicler and catalyst of leading-edge
development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and
spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha
geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the
technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-
making, and evangelism.

I'm the Director of IT here at O'Reilly Media, and we're looking for a
full time software Engineer who can join our collaborative team
environment.

This position will be working in a team environment building and
maintaining enterprise-class business and client-oriented applications
using creative and cutting edge technologies.  This position must also
adapt quickly to legacy and evolving architectures in implementing
incremental feature improvements and in maintaining existing
applications.  This position reports to the Software Manager, and is
located at our corporate headquarters in Sebastopol, CA.

We're looking for someone with a solid 2-3 years of enterprise-class
Python development experience, 2 plus years of RDBMS experience
(ideally MySQL, PostgreSQL and/or Oracle), and 1-2 years of experience
working with XML databases and various XML dialects.  These might
include Marklogic, XQuery, RDF, Docbook, SPARQL, and eXist.

In this position, you'll use Python and various web application
frameworks (primarily Pylons) to build web-based applications that
service internal and external-facing audiences.  You'll be exposed to
our core publishing, metadata, and content tool chains that are
heavily vested in XML-based technologies, and will be working to help
support new business initiatives in various parts of the
organization.  You'll also be working on back-end systems using
Python, Java, Relational database, XML and XML database technologies.

Check out the official posting on oreilly.com where you'll find
instructions on how to apply:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/j/196

And feel free to ask any specific questions!

-Pascal