[Baypiggies] Thoughts on the commercial talks at BayPiggies meetings?

William Deegan bdbaddog at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 15:01:31 EDT 2016

Jeff,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jeff Fischer <jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>  As you may know, I have been helping Glen with hosting the BayPiggies
> talks this year. In planning the speakers for the rest of the year, we ran
> into some questions about what kinds of talks people want to see.
>
>  Since Python is part of a larger Open Source ecosystem, most talks focus
> on how to use various Python-based open source libraries to achieve
> something useful. For example, Dan's talk last month incorporated NumPy,
> Pandas, and Scikit-learn. Other talks may be about commercial products
> built around an Open Source offering (e.g. a past talk on Ansible
> <https://www.ansible.com/> and an upcoming talk on RockStor
> <http://rockstor.com/>).
>
> So, what about purely commercial offerings?

As in there's nothing in the whole talk which is generically python and/or
free or useful without paying money?
Perhaps limit the length of such to 5-10 minutes?
And/or require a donation to the beer fund? (or whatever might be
appropriate)

Also I suppose it would be wise to check with our meeting site hosts what's
ok with them.

If you have to pay to use an API, are you still interested?

Yes. (assuming the scope is not terribly narrow)

> What about APIs to pay-to-use web services (say, the Boto API to Amazon's
> Web Services)?

Yes.

> Should we focus on Open Source or cast our net wider?

Pragmatically, depends if we can fill our schedule with pure open source..

> Where should we draw the line?

Maybe the following would be a good way to deal with this:
1) If it's pure open source: yes
2) If it's open source implementation to call a general purpose (buy pay
for API) like AWS, openstack, twilio, parse : Yes
3) Anything else: Float it to the group?

Typically this isn't a last minute thing, so there'd be time to say:
"Hey Joanne Smith from ACME want's to come talk about their down API for
tracking roadrunners via satellite imaging, does that sound interesting?"
(Or do a poll of some sort google forms? to gather the up/down vote if
+1/-1 email responses aren't sufficient.  Does meetup support something
like this?)

> Does it depend on the specific topic or speaker?
>

> Whether the API is available to individuals or just corporations?
>
> Personally, I am somewhat conflicted: I think we should welcome all kinds
> of speakers, but I would not want to see us degenerate into another meetup
> that is just pitches from Product Managers.

Ditto... Needs to have technical content, and prefer at least some Python
content.

-Bill