[Borgbackup] How does BorgBackup handle symlinks?

Thorsten Schöning tschoening at am-soft.de
Fri Aug 20 12:14:31 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm mounting some directories from a Synology NAS using SSHFS and am
backing files up of that. Some files are symlinks using absolute
paths and reading those results in the following error messages:

> /mnt/[...]/root/bin/btrfsck: readlink: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/[...]/root/bin/btrfsck'
> E /mnt/[...]/root/bin/btrfsck

Of course I simply don't want "readlink" to be called at all, but am
not sure where it comes from. I'm somewhat sure that i DO NOT have
"fowllow_symlinks" enabled when mounting SSHFS. Instead, Synology uses
some own mechanism to provide SFTP using some "internal-sftp" stuff
handling permissions checks etc. as well already. It might be that
those simply "follow_symlinks" by default and I don't know how to
disable that. Providing something like "-o follow_symlinks=no" on my
site doesn't seem to work:

> fuse: unknown option(s): `-o follow_symlinks=no'

So, from my understand of the path above, as the symlink is the last
part of the path, BorgBackup should try to read it as-is, correct? It
doesn't trigger something like "readlink" on its own? Or is there some
option to explicitly disable resolving of symlinks, just to be sure?

Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Thorsten Schöning

--
AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH
Mitglied der Bitstore Gruppe - Ihr Full-Service-Dienstleister für IT und TK

E-Mail: Thorsten.Schoening at AM-SoFT.de
Web:    http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Tel:   05151-  9468- 0
Tel:   05151-  9468-55
Fax:   05151-  9468-88
Mobil:  0178-8 9468-04

AM-SoFT IT-Service - Bitstore Hameln GmbH, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
AG Hannover HRB 221853 - Geschäftsführer: Janine Galonska