[Borgbackup] BorgBackup Cache Not Regenerating

Richard richjunk at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 21 14:24:34 EDT 2021

I am running BorgBackup (1.1.17) as root on two Linux systems.  Each
system has 64GB ram and is not rebooted often so I have most users
(including root) ~/.cache directory pointed at a tmpfs (ramdisk) file
system which means the cache, including BorgBackup's cache is deleted on
reboot.

On one system after a reboot, "borg create" runs as expected except it
takes much longer to create an archive as it needs to regenerate the
~/.cache/borg cache.  The next time BorgBackup runs on this system it is
'fast' as normal.

On the 2nd system BorgBackup (again run as root) never seems to generate
a cache in ~/.cache/borg.  I do not see any errors in the BorgBackup
output.  Any idea why?  Is there some setting to tell Borg where to put
it's cache? Is there some verbose mode I should be using to see what the
issue is?

I am new to BorgBackup and if this cache issue is addressed in the
BorgBackup documentation please let me know where.

I am using a script to launch borg based on a sample in the
documentation.  Here is part of my borg create script:

borg create                         \
    --stats                         \
    --show-rc                       \
    --one-file-system               \