[Catalog-sig] PyPI now live on python.org

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:36:55 +1100

I've just "switched on" the package index on python.org. The register command
in python2.3a2 (current CVS) uses this address by default now, and the
www.amk.ca script does a "half 301"* to tell users that the server has moved.
Thanks Andrew for your support!

The new address is http://www.python.org/pypi

There's still a couple of outstanding issues: the big one is the download url
handling. See http://www.python.org/sf/683939 for info on that. The verbosity
issue is known about and awaiting patching (http://www.python.org/sf/684398).
Neither are blockers as far as I'm concerned.

   Richard

*"half 301" - for those who are curious, I respond with a Status: 301 and an
explanation of what's going on. I don't supply the Location: header because
the python urllib libraries will automatically follow it, and not supply the
basic auth credentials. The missing Location: results in the register command
just displaying the server response. The user is prompted to use the
different URL.