[Catalog-sig] initial use of PyPI

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:32:39 -0500

Here's some notes on my first use of the catalog.  Overall I thought it
was pretty good.  Easy to use (bugs notwithstanding :-)  Most of the bugs
seem like they should be easy to fix.

 * When I logout of the web page, user/password is requested again.

 * When doing admin, the user names should be sorted in some way.

 * Should a user be allowed to be both an owner and maintainer?
   (I don't know the distinction, so it could make sense.)

 * Platform is unknown, how does one set it?  What are the possible values?

 * If you remove a role for a user which doesn't have the role,
   you get a successful 'Role Removed OK'

(You asked to try to break it, right? :-)  Good.  Because:

 * I was the owner (neal) for PyChecker.  I removed myself as the owner,
   which meant there was no owner.  I clicked admin, which sent me
   into an infinite loop of requesting login.  Edit behaved better,
   I got an error message.

So now I can't do anything more to test PyChecker.  Could someone
restore me as owner or delete the package?

 * I went to update my user information.  I pressed ok without
   entering a password and I couldn't log in again.  The password
   wasn't the old password or blank.  At least I couldn't use either
   to login.

 * After changing my user information, I had to re-login.

Neal