[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:13:48 CEST 2007

Hello Jim,

I double+ agree we should update on change.

On 7/9/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Here's a common use case:
>
> - A user uploads a new release
>
> - They then use setuptools to install the release from PyPI.
> setuptools will not present their credentials and will therefore
> behave like a logged in user.  It will see and install an older
> version of the package.

You mean it will behave like someone *not* logged in right?  Either
way they should always get the latest change.

The way to do this atomically, so not one can possibly get an old
page, the static file will be removed as the change is committed.
Then everyone gets the latest change right away - as soon as the
change has been committed.

> > Anyway... I'm just making the tool which can be used on demand, or at
> > regular timings.
>
> I wonder if we are talking about the same thing here.  I fear not.
> With event based update, you should only update the pages that need
> to be updated, at worst, this should be the pages for the project
> being updated plus http://www.python.org/pypi/.  The software needed
> for this would be very different than the software that would build
> the static pages initially or update all if a template has changed.

These are the commands so far:
python pypi-static-generation.py -create_single /pypi/pygame /tmp/pygame.html
python pypi-static-generation.py -create_all

The generation of the main index page would be:
python pypi-static-generation.py -create_single /pypi/
path_to_static_indexpage.html

Then there would be a command to update the single page:
python pypi-static-generation.py -create_single /pypi/Pygame
path_to_static_pygame.html

Ok, that's all for now.  I'll be able to finish it off in a few days
after europython.

Cheers,