[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 11 20:01:59 CEST 2007

Benji York schrieb:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> People are doing it, usually in limited ways, out of desperation.
>> Same question to these people, then (whoever they are): why
>> do you think it's easier to build your own index in desperation,
>> rather than contributing to PyPI?
>
> Because they aren't aware of the progress being made or the intent to
> make more?

And then, why didn't they ask how they could help?

People can start all the projects they want, of course. It just seems
like a waste of volunteer time to work on competing projects.

> Here's one (you didn't say they had to be past messages <wink>).

And indeed, I'm more interested in new reports than in old ones
(since the system changed since the old ones).

> Is your position that PyPI isn't down/very slow on occasion or that when
> it is no one complains?

Both. I believe it shouldn't be down, and I have no precise reports of
it being "very slow". Jim Fulton complained that it took 0.3s to
get a single package's page, which I cannot classify as "very slow".

> My team has lost many man hours to PyPI begin down/glacially slow.  This
> isn't meant to disparage PyPI though, if it weren't such a great thing
> it wouldn't be important to us.

But when did that happen precisely?