[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 01:46:45 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> The questions for us is, how much effort we are willing to make to
>>> prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot.  I can
>>> understand
>>> why Phillip would like the package index to prevent people from
>>> choosing
>>> problematic package names.
>>
>> That's not my understanding - the issue isn't with "problematic
>> package
>> names", but with conflicting package names. IOW, any single name is
>> fine - it's a pair of names that would cause a problem (and only if
>> you wanted to install both packages on the same system).
>
> A big issue that's not been raised is that *distutils* have no
> package name
> rules, but it's being proposed that PyPI does - thus a package
> author will
> potentially get an error when uploading their package, and also the
> name that
> appears in the index may be quite different to the name of their
> package.

Maybe distutils should have more package name rules than it does
now.  We (the Community) should be free to change things based on
experience.  We now have a lot more experience with this stuff than
we had a few years ago.  Maybe we should consider a reset.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org