[Catalog-sig] Case sensitivity of package names

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 21:31:45 CEST 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Whether to then also introduce case-sensitivity into various parts
> of easy_install is another subject that doesn't really matter to
> the catalog-sig.

I'm not sure we agree on what matters to the catalog sig. :)
(I still need to respond to your note on that topic.)

> Please note, however, that it is not a minor change by any means --
> case-insensitivity exists throughout pkg_resources and setuptools
> to handle operating system filename case-insensitivity, not just
> for index lookups.  In fact, I believe the index lookups *are* case-
> sensitive; IIRC it's only link parsing that is case-insensitive.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't deal with file-system case
insensitivity.  If I were to change setuptools to match my opinion, I
would probably just change the code that tries to get a package
listing to look for close matches to print a suggestion and stop
rather than guessing a package name and continuing.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org