[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Aug 6 22:09:16 CEST 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I guess I'd rather projects manage the whole space independently.  If
>> you want versioned docs, upload directories of docs for every version.
>> If you don't want that, then don't.  At least that lets projects do
>> things like put in no-index tags into their version-specific docs, or
>> put warnings into old doc versions.
>
> Sounds reasonable. So it is just packages.python.org/<project> then,
> and the upload interface is on the pkg_edit page (rather than the
> submit_form page).

What are you thinking about for upload?  Upload a zip file?  Some more
RESTy interface?  A REST interface quickly turns into WebDAV, which is
also kind of annoying to work with.  Does uploading new files implicitly
remove all old files, or add to them?  Would something like rsync be
possible to make it more efficient?  Probably automated tools will
appear nearly instantly (I'd probably use the form about once before
writing a tool), so something like an API is called for.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org