[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] distribute D.C. sprint tasks

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 14 19:52:52 CEST 2008

> - are non open source licensed packages alllowed at PyPI ?

Sure! There is no censorship applied in PyPI, except for content
completely unrelated to Python.

The only exception is when the package owner is unresponsive,
and somebody else wants to take over the package. We need some
procedure to formalize this case.

> - wouldn't it make sense for open source package to force a sdist
> upload before any other kind of distribution (this is a feature
> claimed by many people in fact, as binary distribution obsfuscate
> things and make it hard to install if it's not the same version, and
> if it was not intended by the packager)

I don't want to assert quality control to the packages. If they don't
upload anything, fine. If they upload broken packages, fine. If they
supply invalid URLs, fine. If they mistype their email addresses, names,
or licensing terms, fine. If they fail to provide source code, fine.

Users should contact the authors and report problems with the
registration if they find any. They sometimes mistake the PyPI
tracker as tracking problems with the packages, but that happens
rarely. Perhaps we can provide a form to submit a message to the
package owner, to be used when everything else fails (such form
would require a PyPI account for the sender, too).