[Catalog-sig] Package comments

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 23:52:29 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Some package maintainers are unhappy with the recent addition
> of a rating-and-comment facility in PyPI; they don't want to
> see user comments on their package page (the rating itself
> is not being challenged, AFAIU).
>
> As it is difficult to get the community opinion on this particular
> issue, I plan to hold a poll. In preparation for that, I started
> collecting arguments for both sides on
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments
>
> Feel free to add arguments that you think are missing in these
> lists; please refrain from removing arguments (even if you think
> they are flawed).

Please make sure this poll is well advertised and not set up in such a
way that is only gets the answer you're looking for ;-)

I see 3 voting options:

- keep the current commenting system

- allow package maintainers to choose whether they want to have
commenting enabled on their package or not.

- remove all commenting completely

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk