[Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Jun 17 06:30:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

>  It is likely that some people will setup a mirror and then "forget" to
>> take care
>> about it. Like our buildbots really.
>>

> The same can happen to any infrastructure, though. Amazon may decide to
> change the setup, and then the automated update procedure would break.
> Of course, they would give advance notice - but then somebody would
> have to react to that advance notice.

That's not very likely, and if something does change it will be extremely
well announced and documented.  Amazon is providing a commercial service
lots of people rely on, their process is formalized and professionalized.
And if Amazon makes mistakes they'll figure out how to avoid them next time,
while mirror providers are a rotating crew that is unlikely to easily or
reliably learn from past mistakes.  If we actually understood each time PyPI
broke and fixed it none of this would be a problem; I'm not blaming anyone
for that, but it's also not going to change and adding lots of mirror
systems just adds more systems with exactly the same management problems
that our current system has.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org