[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jun 17 10:59:53 CEST 2010

Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> And this is _exactly_ the problem. If you are a package author
>>> and want to make your packages available to the public through PyPI,
>>> you should be obligated for publishing the related distribution
>>> files on PyPI: for the sake of availability and in order for being
>>> independent of your own infrastructure. Otherwise I have the (arrogant)
>>> opinion: go away - if you are a package author and want to use PyPI:
>>> ensure that your software is available to everyone at any time.
>
>> What about those package authors who host their package
>> elsewhere for various reasons and *do* make sure that their
>> infrastructure is available - even if PyPI is down ?
>
>> I have the feeling that you had a problem with that one
>> package you mentioned and the proposal was just a reaction
>> to the associated anger with that.
>
>> It's not fair to start policing all packages on PyPI just
>> because of that one incident you had.
>
> We had such issues over and over again over the last years.
> A typical Zope/Plone installation requires over hundred different
> packages and we have seen such failures with external servers
> various times. The workaround was creating PyPI mirrors, project related
> mirrors or download caches....just workarounds but not really a reliable
> and working infrastructure..

I guess it's better to tell the package authors about your
use of their packages and offer them help in hosting their
packages on more reliable infrastructures.

If that doesn't solve your problem, it's likely better
to either setup your own index to override the PyPI one
(should be easy to do in zc.buildout and AFAIK at least
Plone is already doing that), or you stop using
the package and look for alternatives.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 17 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                31 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/