[Catalog-sig] [Proposal] Registered packages must provide the source code distribution on PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jun 17 11:51:13 CEST 2010

Andreas Jung wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>

>> I guess it's better to tell the package authors about your
>> use of their packages and offer them help in hosting their
>> packages on more reliable infrastructures.
>

>> If that doesn't solve your problem, it's likely better
>> to either setup your own index to override the PyPI one
>> (should be easy to do in zc.buildout and AFAIK at least
>> Plone is already doing that), or you stop using
>> the package and look for alternatives.
>
> Sorry - I disagree completely. As developer I am into developing
> software and not into building private infrastructure to get around the
> deficiencies of PyPI

Well, we're trying to change those ...

> and the ignorance of some package maintainers
> caring about the needs of the developers using their packages.

... can't help with this, though.

Package authors typically have a wide range of motivations to
write and share software for others to use. They don't
necessarily share your views or see a need to fulfill your
particular requirements.

If you do have a business requirement to rely on their packages,
I'd suggest you'd ask those package authors for a support
contract. That would likely help them adapt to your needs ;-)

Back to your proposal: In your particular case, I don't see
how the proposal would have helped you - under the proposal,
the package would have been removed from the PyPI index,
so either way, there would have been no working automatic
access to the package download links.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 17 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                31 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/