[Catalog-sig] PyPI template improvements

Simon de Vlieger simon at ikanobori.jp
Fri Jun 18 10:24:32 CEST 2010

On 17 jun 2010, at 22:44, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> In web app land, "supported browsers" usually means the ones the
>> designer targets:  e.g., including "IE>= 7" in the list means that
>> the
>> designer doesn't have to include workarounds for stupid glitches in
>> earlier IEs (or even test the design against those versions).
>>
>> For CSS, this means that the site's appearance will be sometimes
>> wonky
>> when running with an older-than-supported browser version.  Features
>> which depend on Javascript may not work at all, or only in degraded
>> mode.
>
> I have a really hard time answering that question then: there was no
> web designer involved in creating PyPI (*). The browser that the
> *authors* of the service target are really the ones I mentioned: all
> of them.
>
> There is one browser that gets special attention, and flaws relating
> to it get fixed faster than for any other browser: setuptools.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> (*) of course, it uses the layout of python.org, which did have a
> web designer; for this design, I don't know the answer.

Martin,

a question from me. Does setuptools browse the main pypi pages or does
it use the simple version?

Another question is, if there is a need for Javascript on the page
(don't worry about making it unaccessible, I'll make everything
degrade nicely) am I allowed to include JavaScript framework. Right
now I'm looking at jQuery (http://jquery.com/) or would there be
something against this?

I have already done a few items from my list and a few of the items
which were proposed by the distutils-sig mailinglist. Over the weekend
I'm looking at doing a nice chunk of work.

Regards,

Simon de Vlieger