[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 5 23:28:05 CEST 2011

>> Because the users of the service have actually requested that it works
>> this way.
>
> I've not seen this. Citations, please?

Most recently on this list: Rene Dudfield.

> Do you have
> some secret feedback channel I could get some access to?

Actually, being one of the two maintainers of the software,
I do get comments in private email also, or in person
(but of course you can't get access to *that*)

> Do you really not see the difference between file hosting -- something
> that, if I don't need I don't have to use -- and a
> forced-upon-authors-by-fiat rating system?

Of course I see a difference - I was just refuting your claim that
"PyPI is a catalog. [...] Anything more dilutes the purpose and turns it
into something political."

As for forcing features onto authors - there have been vocal requests
to reject packages from PyPI that don't also host their files on it.