[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Tue Apr 5 23:38:46 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Most recently on this list: Rene Dudfield.

OK, so we're up to:

* Two votes +1 (I'm assuming I can count you as a +1)
* One vote in reply to me on twitter +0.
* Six votes on this list -1
* Nine votes in reply to me on Twitter -1 (actually just got a tenth,
but I'll leave that out).

>> Do you have
>> some secret feedback channel I could get some access to?
>
> Actually, being one of the two maintainers of the software,
> I do get comments in private email also, or in person
> (but of course you can't get access to *that*)

Can you quantify, then, how many people are emailing you and telling
you that the feature is really useful and that they're glad you added
it? Or asking you to add it in the first place?

> As for forcing features onto authors - there have been vocal requests
> to reject packages from PyPI that don't also host their files on it.

OK, but now you're making my argument for me. I'm saying that PyPI
should not force requirements on packages authors (beyond what's
required technically like a name and such, and what's required
legally). It sounds like you agree, at least here. So what's different
about ratings?

Jacob