[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Apr 6 14:11:03 CEST 2011

Am 06.04.2011 13:55, schrieb Michael Foord:

> On 6 April 2011 08:21, James Bennett <ubernostrum at gmail.com
> <mailto:ubernostrum at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>     <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>     > But it seems to me likely biased, so I am not convinced yet.
>
>     There is not and never will be a sampling of "end users" that will be
>     widely accepted by this list. This is a fact that we need to accept
>     and move past, largely because such sampling is a red herring.
>
>     > An avalanche follows. It mostly consists of people who did not ratings
>     > before saying they do not like ratings now, and perhaps even less. Surprise.
>     > And there is some rehashing of the same old arguments.
>
>     When I look at this and the original threads, I see a variety of
>     opinions. There are people (I'm one of them) who feel PyPI should not
>     be in the business of hosting a rating system, and should simply stick
>     to being the Python Package Index. There are people who feel there
>     could be a useful rating implementation, but that the one PyPI has is
>     not such an implementation. And there's Martin.
>

> I think this is unfair and personally antagonistic. I'm surprised (and a little
> ashamed) at the level of emotion and invective that this thread has raised.

Well, let's just find James' packages on PyPI and give them all a negative
rating :)

Seriously, as a lurker here I'm surprised at the lack of conduct, even if the
topic is emotional.  (How can a rating system be emotional, anyway?  There's
not even any graphical stars about whose color we could argue.  I'm sure
Django can cope with a negative vote.)

> A possible alternative: allowing users to "star" or "like" projects they find
> particularly useful. Either with or without their name being attached to their
> response. ("Jacon Kaplan-Moss and 47 other users liked this project" for example.)

Great.  PycebookPI anyone? :)

cheers,
Georg