[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 6 18:44:38 CEST 2011

At 02:13 AM 4/6/2011 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>No, he countered with a community poll that has, as I remember,
>100-200 responders. After a contentious discussion.

A poll which, unfortunately, had numerous choices about what *kind*
of system to have, such that votes *against* Martin's proposal were
widely split, and IIRC, the difference between the number of votes
cast for different alternatives was pretty negligible.

Looking at the numbers at one point, I concluded that if I had run a
poll with those results, I would have had to conclude that there was
essentially zero consensus about what direction should be taken, and
either tabled the notion or gone back to the list to try to get more
specific discussion.

Unfortunately, the poll was run as a decision-making mechanism,
rather than an information-gathering one.